דף מידע למתחסנים
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Name: BNT162b2; Manufacturer: Pfizer, Inc., and BioNTech
Effectiveness and Safety
This is an mRNA vaccine, which belongs to a family of mRNA vaccines. They have nucleic acids that provide the cells of a vaccinated person with instructions on how to make a protein piece, which is similar to a coronavirus protein. The mRNA strands are inside a lipid coating that boosts the immune response. The immune system detects the protein piece, which consequently triggers a highly effective immune reaction against the virus.
The vaccine is safe and effective at preventing the COVID-19 illness
The vaccine is synthesized in a laboratory and does not contain the virus that causes COVID-19 or any parts thereof. The cell breaks down the mRNA strands and disposes of them shortly after injection. The vaccine cannot cause COVID-19 illness or affect the human genetic material (DNA).
How can you get the vaccine?
The Ministry of Health publishes announcements what ages can get vaccinated.
Contact your HMO for an appointment.
Who will get the vaccine first and who will not get the vaccine at this stage?
Who will get the vaccine first?
- The vaccine is given to individuals who are 16 years of age or older.
- Pregnant women or women who plan to be pregnant can get the vaccine. See the position paper concerning vaccination of pregnant women (HE).
- People with an acute illness, especially if their body temperature is 38 degrees Celsius or higher, should recover before getting the vaccine.
- Those recovered can receive the vaccine, according to the hospital and HMO instructions.
Who will not get the vaccine at this stage?
- People who are younger than 16 years of age.
- People with a history of severe allergic reactions. They are required to tell staff before they are vaccinated and ask if they can have the vaccine.
Vaccine administration and what to do after vaccination
The mRNA COVID-19 vaccine series consists of two doses administered 21 days apart. A second dose can be administered even if more than 21 days elapse. The body will have maximum immunity possible after the second dose only.
The vaccine is administered by injection in the deltoid muscle.
Common side effects
There are mild side effects which resolve within a few days. The most common side effects after vaccination include redness and pain at the injection site, fever, chills, fatigue, headaches, malaise, muscle pain, joint pain, nausea, and swollen lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy).
These side effects usually resolve within a day or two after injection and are more common after the second dose is administered.
Allergic side effects, including an immediate allergic reaction (anaphylactic reaction), are rare. Patients with a history of anaphylactic reactions must consult staff before getting vaccinated.
After receiving the vaccine, please wait for 15 minutes before leaving the vaccination hub.
On 21.1.2021, the Israel Association of Allergy and Clinical Immunology published a position paper, according to which, there were only few cases of severe allergical reactions and not a single death has been reported.
* Redactions authorized by MoH Director General Prof. Hezi Levi, and approved by Pfizer Co. for commercial considerations.